Thursday, June 26, 2008

Ed Wade Talks Tough, Gets Thrown Down by the Neck Like Little Girl



This man is Shawn Chacon (shuh-cone). He's a journey, having bounced around to several different organizations after having the best season of his career with the yankees in 2005. He has not pitched well this season, getting bumped from the Astros rotation to the bullpen.

Ed Wade is the current GM of the Astros; he was the GM of the Phils prior to Mr. Gillick. Also, although this may not be relevant, no one likes him.

Wade demanded a word with Chacon while Chacon was eating. Chacon did not like this, so he grabbed Wade by the neck and threw him on the ground.

"I sat down to eat and Ed Wade came to me and very sternly said, 'You need to come with me to the office,'" Chacon said. "I said, 'For what?' I said, 'I don't want to go to the office with you and Cooper.' And I said, 'You can tell me whatever you got to tell me right here.' He's like, 'Oh, you want me to tell you right here?' And I said, 'Yeah.' I'm not yelling. I'm calm."

"He started yelling and cussing," Chacon said of Wade, according to a story on the Chronicle's Web site. "I'm sitting there and I said to him very calmly, 'Ed, you need to stop yelling at me.' Then I stood up and said, 'You better stop yelling at me.' I stood up. He continued and was basically yelling. So at that point I lost my cool and I grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the ground. I jumped on top of him," he said. "Words were exchanged."

Apparently, Chacon was about to be cut, demoted, or in some other way no longer part of the Astros.

Good old Ed Wade. He can always talk tough with scrub guys who are about to be demoted. To me, this reeks of an uptight executive guy who felt like he finally got a chance to take out some angst against an athlete, and tried to play it tough. Don't forget, this is the same Ed Wade that bent over for every demand any Phillies player ever made, to the detriment of the team. I'm thinking of the Schilling and Rolen trades, and all those no-trade clauses Wade agreed to.

I know I'm supposed to be appalled by this incident, but I can't help but laugh a little. Turns out, when you try to talk sh*t, sometimes people want you to back it up. Ed Wade backs it up...from his back. How's that working out for you, Ed?

No comments: