Friday, April 18, 2008

The Philadelphia marathon

Last night was a big night for marathon sporting events. With the Rockies and Padres going 22 long innings and our Fly Guys giving 4 1/4 periods of playoff hockey. Thursday night is an example of why I love being a sports fan. My brother in law and I have been watching the Phillies and Flyers like it's our job ( God willing it will be one day) for the last few weeks. He stopped over and we watched the entire game together.

We stood up for the entirety of both OT periods and cheered and cursed every play. Why did we stand up for such a long time? Because we were both standing when Briere scored the game tying goal in the 3rd period. Die hard sports fans are an odd breed and we are no different. Does us standing make the Flyers better? Probably not. Does the fact that I " called" Mike Knuble scoring the game winner or my brother in law " The Rook" called Carter matter? No, but it is strange that they were both involved in the final play.

After the game was over, we listened to the player interviews and heard things like " We wish we could play tomorrow morning". These are the things that you want to hear from your players.

The Flyers are coming together at the right time and shutting down Ovechkin, who shall be referred to as Louganis from this point on due to his diving ability and homosexuality in stunning fashion. Every time Lougy touched the puck I uttered a curse word until the second OT. It was at this point that I realized that there is nothing he can do to stop the Flyers because one man can not stop this team. Tuesday and Thursday night are going to go down as two indelible sports memories for me. Tuesday for the Flyers dominating game 3 victory and the fact that I flipped back to the Phillies winning on Jenky's winning "run" after thinking that they were still down 3-0 and Thursday for the Phillies afternoon delight against old man Tejada and the 'Stros and the orange and black .

I have a ton of yardwork to do and I can't stop thinking about the Phils/Mets series and tomorrow's game 5. It's what makes me a fan, it's what makes Philadelphia sports great because I'm far from the only one. It's also why my wife hates me. The memories of Joe Carter in '93 and Stevens are starting to fade. Oh no, they're not, it's getting misty in the Power household. Maybe you CAN lose them all, but it's sure nice when you win a few.

No comments: